Friday, October 21, 2011

Month 1: Inside or Out?

A friend asked me the other day if my goal in doing this project was physical beauty or inward beauty. I had to think about it for a second because, like I've said, I'm still totally formulating my thoughts and goals for this project.

"Both," I eventually said.

We have been told what is beautiful our whole lives and most of us will never live up to the standards we've been given. I've read that even Victoria's Secret models have "fat days". Surely if the standard for beauty is completely unattainable, then it's the wrong standard. I want to redefine "beauty" for myself, and I want to do it according to God. After all, He is the one who came up with the whole idea of beauty in the first place.

He created the sunsets. He created the ocean. He created love. He created the human body. He created intimacy. He created hair, and teeth, and noses, and smiles, and laughs, and voices, and personalities, and passions. Out of anyone, He is the beauty guru I most trust.

I want to spend the next year filling my heart and head with Scripture that helps me to understand what is truly beautiful based on what beauty was designed to be.

Then I want to do something with it. I want to exhibit the beautiful God who made me. I want to understand His standards of beauty. I don't want to be afraid to feel beautiful. God makes good things, and I want to be the best "good" I can be...and I want to have fun doing it because enjoying life is beautiful.

And I haven't done much research yet, but I have a hunch that beautifying my soul (through seeking God's definition and purpose) will have a beautifying effect on my inner self (things like stress and joy and contentment) which will have a beautifying effect on my body.

So there it is. "Both". Inside and out. Soul and body. Me and me. A journey in beautification of my whole being.

No comments:

Post a Comment